Tuesday, January 27, 2015

a little piece of childhood

This necklace is a piece with three pendants, all collected on different times in life. The crushed gold heart has its own little story though. It was a gold heart given to me by one of my grandmothers. I was too young to recall, and now sadly everyone who knew who I originally got it from, is gone. I do however, think of both my grandmothers and my mom when I wear it. Which is better than one, and certainly better than none.

Anyhow, the gold heart is disfigured due to an early meeting with my teeths. I was old enough to have seen movies where old men would bite a coin to check if it was real. I thought that was what one commonly did with gold, so I took a bite. Only to discover it to be hollow.

I remember before that time, giving the heart away to a neighbour. It was clearly not mine to give and my mom had to collect it. As my mother died I went through her things and found this hidden in her jewellry box and decided to add it to the necklace.


0 comments :